What is it?
Service alerts are used to communicate periods of planned and unplanned outages (downtime) to your users, so the impact to them is minimised.
It is good practice to communicate outages to end users for situations including:
- Unplanned outage
- Planned maintenance/release
- Intermittent issues that may cause errors
Communication can be via a number of different methods, depending on the situation (e.g. planned or unplanned):
- Email to users
- Newsletter article
- Status page / web banner 24 hours prior
- Advice via Facebook / Twitter to followers
If possible, you should also communicate an expected window of downtime.
- Increased trust and reliability
- Reduced support